Monday 17 October 2011

Not So Red Velvet Cupcakes II

So there i was, ready to set off with my pennies to finally get my hands on some of that red food colouring paste for some delicious red velvet cupcakes when i was told by (the very moody lady at the shop) that they were all out and they've only just sent out a new order for some -_-'... so i bought the next best colour- Melon- which is like some orangey colour. why?!! (yess well i ask myself that now) because i was desperate.

So the story goes a little like this. I was happily making my cupcakes the next day when i reached the stage to put in the food colouring. How much do i put in?? well, i thought as much as i wanted until i reached the right colour. I dont think it was ever going to reach the right colour since i put in half the pot (bad mistake) and my lovely cake mix was looking a little like a giant baby accidently ate a bad curry the night before. Gritting my teeth, i ventured onwards and it turns out the cakes were a pretty good bake. they looked good, the sponge was incredibly light and well err, spongey. but there was definitely some sort of chemically after-taste and a kind of sugary film that coated your teeth. Oh well.. my cake's were not a glorious red colour, not even an orange i'd settle for. when they came out, they didnt actually look that different to normal cakes which was a bit annoying, since i could have gone without it and not have gotten all those nasty results.


Anyway, they're all frosted now with cream cheese frosting.. and ive forgotten to put them in the fridge so the icing is probably all sliding off. great. they'll be off to the shop tomorrow after another 7am treck.

With a bit of luck, they'll be red next time. stay tuned for part III!!


No comments:

Post a Comment