Monday 24 October 2011

Caramel Cupcakes


These definitely were not for the faint hearted, or those interested in keeping their teeth. These were sooo sweet!! but nevertheless still tasty.

The original plan was to make these salted caramel cupcakes with a matching frosting, sprinkled with mini honeycomb shards. The problem was, i've only made honeycomb twice, both in primary school. I cannot for the life of me, remember how to make it. So i pulled out a recipe and tried to follow it. Twice. Both were wrong. I was so scared about burning my sugar and syrup that i probably added the bicarb in too early, resulting in a chewy, soft honeycomb, and not the sharp, brittle shards i wanted. I would have made it a third time, had i not run out of golden syrup!! I think i really needed a thermometer, that would have been good for saving the syrup and a bit more accurate than guessing...

So to save the rather plain looking frosting, i found some fudge pieces my housemate gave me for my birthday in the cupboard and popped them on top. It was quite nice for a substitute but i still want to learn how to perfect honeycomb. (perfect?!! do it anyway.)

These cupcakes turned out to have a nice, light, spongey crumb and a very sweet frosting. Everytime i follow recipes for frosting, it always turns out too sweet (for me), maybe i'll do it myself next time and add more sugar as i go along...


No comments:

Post a Comment