Friday 17 February 2012

Rhubarb & Custard Cupcakes





I've never had rhubarb, like proper rhubarb.

Not even in a crumble.

I've had rhubarb and custard sweets before- but that doesn't count.

Either way, i knew i liked it, which is why i was so excited when Lizzie commissioned me to make these as the second batch of cupcakes for her sister's hen do. (Mocha cupcakes being the other batch- see previous post)

I even got to use the jazzy cupcake cases my sister gave me for christmas ^_^

I've never made these cupcakes, and i was following a recipe from my newly acquired Mary Berry book "The Great British Bake Off- How to Bake". So not only this, but i've also never baked cupcakes under Mary Berry's instruction.

I was nervous.

Especially as there was even proper vanilla in the custard i was making. Like the real stuff- out of a pod! I did not want to screw this up.

So basically, if you're wondering about the construction of this deliciousness, it was:

Vanilla sponge, with a rhubarb compote and a homemade custard filling and a vanilla buttercream frosting.

I had to make a few changes to the recipe:

  1. Sainsburys had no rhubarb compote so i used rhubarb filling used for crumbles instead, which worked just as well (i'd imagine! Ha..)
  2. I realised just before baking that i'd need a thermometer to make this fancy buttercream in the recipe which i don't own, so i had to quickly change and opt for a normal vanilla frosting from the Hummingbird Bakery book "Cake Days"... But even with this recipe i changed it. I added the ingredients by eye so that i reached MY desired consistency, as when i made this frosting ages ago, it turned out runny... and i didn't want to risk it with a commission in mind! Btw, turned out fine :P
fresh out the oven- pretty consistently sized :)

Oh! and to make things EVEN better! The timer on my oven decided to break and not even count down -_-"... So i had to just guess, luckily i THINK i was right??! The ones above could probably have been taken out 2-3 mins earlier.

sitting pretty in their fancy cases! (unlike that lovely dirty grill they're sitting on.. apologies, i ran out of space on my cooling rack... which is actually just an upside down utensil tray)


My intention was to get fancy with the frosting, and create that 2-tone pipe on the top. 

Forgetting, obviously, that i fail at piping... Whoops. 

Above is just the vanilla buttercream, one with some pink food colouring.

the "prepared" piping bag


The swirl on the right turned out fine, (reminiscent of a poo) but it used up like HALF of the frosting i made, and that wasn't allowed. So i had to quickly think of something else- i.e. the lovely weird creations on the left.

Don't worry, i wouldn't dare do this on a professional commission but Lizzie was quite willing for me to experiment since i looked like i was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.


They make me giggle a bit- they look pretty crazy!

At least these turned out to look fun.

i finally decided to make more frosting and then just frost the rest of the cupcakes with a palette knife.

But whilst i was doing so, even the slightest hold of the cake, squeezed out some of the rhubarb compote, and the frosting would not stay, it slid everywhere and i wanted to cry.

I soldiered on though and i think they all turned out okay.

A light buttery sponge with a creamy, tart surprise in the middle :) pretty moreish! But i think, after having made 2 batches of cupcakes and no lunch, i was getting impatient towards the end, meaning the quality of the frosting suffered and it was far too sweet, it made my teeth melt!!

Have to remember to stay focused. No matter how much i want to curl up in the oven and cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment