Friday 17 February 2012

Mocha Cupcakes II


I was commissioned by Lizzie to make 2 types of cupcakes for her sister's hen-do. This being one of the batches! Thankfully it wasn't a proper professional commission so i wasn't under too much stress!

I've made Mocha Cupcakes before and they turned out to be an amazing hit! I just wanted to make these a little different, so i added crushed roasted walnuts, sprinkled on the frosting to really marry up the espresso  and chocolate in the sponge.

I just used the Mocha Cupcake recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery book "Cake Days" and added the walnuts on top. However, i did change the quantities of the ingredients used for the frosting, as this never really turns out right for me, so i did it by eye, texture and taste. It seemed to work a lot better for me.

Obviously, being me, i couldn't make anything without a few hiccups... and thankfully there are many pictures- some quite interesting, and some, not so necessary.

action shot of filling

some cakes getting "tongues" from over filling! whoops!

These ones amused me somewhat :D but they were the nicest ones to frost

Domo lovin' life

my hot chocolate frosting- altered from the original recipe

I think my frosting skills with a palette knife have improved... Obviously still much to be desired but it looks much better than what it used to be!!

having said that, here's a "rustic" lop-sided topped cupcake :P

roasted walnut pieces, waiting to be crushed... which i had to do by hand!! Too poor to own a chopper :(

a painfully badly lit photo. Basically just sprinkled and crowded the nuts on top.

Getting super fancy with the shots.. A bit orange but it looks a bit nicer than that one up there!

Lizzie was very kind and let me have a cupcake from each batch so i could taste and improve for next time. The sponge was light and moist, with just the right amount of frosting. Which, by the way, i think i will always make by my own measurements now, as it always seems to turn out better, consistency wise. 
I don't know if i'm just doing it wrong with the measurements they give me in the book, but i feel it's better to be safe than sorry.
Oh, and the walnuts were a hero decision and they definitely made the cakes look a lot posher :P

No comments:

Post a Comment