Saturday 10 December 2011

Cookies & Cream Cake


I always bake my housemates cakes for their birthdays. But i always seem to be running out of time because of uni work and deadlines, so it's always the same.

Victoria sponge with buttercream and raspberry jam.

Don't get me wrong, i LOVE a good vicky sponge. it's just very samey. and it kind of takes the surprise out of the birthday cake. 

So i wanted to get a little creative!!.. i didn't really have a recipe for what i was doing, i just kinda went along with my experimental instincts, since they seem to have all been so good to me recently.

My friend Lizzie has a giant sweet tooth. 

So i thought what could be better than a chocolate cake??

Not just a chocolate cake.

But a chocolate cake with... Crushed oreos??...

And buttercream to be like regular cream...

And i'm soo very glad i baked this delicious dream!.

I basically made a basic rich chocolate cake mix with extra vanilla, and combined 3/4 packet of oreos crushed. (on hindsight, it probably didnt need these in the mix as you couldn't really taste them in there, but still it makes it look more interesting)... and baked..

For the filling, unfortunately, i ran out of butter.. So i made as much buttercream as i could, just a regular one with icing sugar and a dash of vanilla.. 

I added the sugar to taste as i wanted it sweet but not too sweet so that it could be more creamy for the cookies. Right at the last minute, before i frosted it on the cake, i lightly stirred in the remaining crushed oreos (carefully not mixing too much, otherwise the icing would have turned into an unattractive poo colour :(..) 

There was so little buttercream, i couldn't even frost the outside.. 

After standing back and looking at the measly amount of buttercream, i decided, that if I was the birthday girl, I'd want to cry at the stingy amount of frosting.... So i ran and threw open my cupboard and there was my big tub of Marshmallow Fluff winking at me in the face...

"It's so crazy" I thought "...That it might just work..."

I even used it as a glue to stick some white choc drops to the top, creating a loverly 22..

It turned out to be a brilliant last minute addition as it was easily spreadable, Lizzie LOVES marshmallow fluff and it was a fun little surprise in the cake. The only downside was that after an hour or 2 of waiting to be cut, the marshmallow started to melt and run (giant mess).
But again, we didn't care because soon enough, we were all fighting for the last piece.

The only thing i would change, is to possibly sub the chocolate sponge for a richer, more indulgent chocolate cake.. like devil's food cake... or like that AMAZING BRUCE BOGTROTTER CAKE from Matilda... Mmmm...

This was only because when i added the biscuits to the cake mix, it made it look like a fruit cake. Hm.
But what it lacked in presentation, it totally made up for in taste..  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment