Thursday 10 November 2011

Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies

This is my very first attempt at making any sort of Whoopie Pies- please be gentle with me!
So word on the street is that whoopie pies are the new cupcake. I was a bit curious as to what they were like, texture and taste wise... I've never had one so i'm not even sure if mine turned out right! But all i know is that they were pretty damn tasty, very sweet and such an adorable size. Just enough :) mmm...

I thought i'd start with a basic chocolate chip one (if i had even got the right amount of chocolate chips -_-"- definitely need a whole 'nother packet next time).. the process is pretty easy, it's definitely something i'd enjoy making when there are mates around just watching you (which there was). Blitzing ingredients one after the other, chilling the mix in the fridge, dolloping on a baking tray and whackin in the oven for 10-15 mins. They just looked so innocent and light :)

I don't know how dense the cake is meant to be, mine had a nice thin crunch on the outside and were soft and buttery on the inside. I've never used yoghurt in a cake recipe before, i was a bit skeptical whether it would make the mix runny or sour... but i found that it gave a really nice creaminess to it, and the four stiffened up the mixture quite a bit anyway. A very nice surprise.

I sandwiched the sponges with a chocolate marshmallow filling, comprising of that real American Marshmallow Fluff stuff that tastes deeeeee-lish, but my god, it's not kind to the student pocket. I ended up using half of the MASSIVE pots you get (400g?) and that cost me nearly a fiver. Not a happy bunny- but for my love of baking, i guess i'll let it slide.

But on the other hand, some of my housemates found these a little too sweet... which is weird, since they can drink melted chocolate by the gallon! and for a girl that loves baking, i confess that i don't have a very big sweet tooth AT ALL, and i didn't find these very sweet... how very odd... in fact i scoffed 2, one after the other.

The chocolate marshmallow wasn't very chocolatey... this may have been because i used drinking chocolate powder instead of actual cocoa powder.. but nonetheless, it tasted pretty awesome. And may i add, i WAS going to pipe the filling so that it all looked a bit more presentable.. but i grew impatient and wanted them MY OM FRIGGIN NOM. So i just did a palette knife shmear. Forgiveness.

Overall, whoopie pies are fun and simple to make (the basic recipe anyway!), they're pretty yummy and very cute, but the marshmallow isn't kind to my purse, so i'll probably only make them on occasion.

Or when i feel rich.

...and famous.


No comments:

Post a Comment